4. The Information Building
The university was experiencing a transition period during the eighties when campus planning and construction was the major task. In 1989, the Campus Planning and Construction Committee agreed to plan and construct an information building as well as a building to accommodate classrooms.
An open search for architectural plans for the proposed Information Building led to the submission of architectural designs on Dec. 28, 1989. President Ching-yu Chang presided over the ground-breaking ceremony on November 9, 1990, and the building completed on May 4, 1993.
The building is on the site where the Tian-fang Building and the Zi Chiang Male Dormitory 4 once stood. The Tian-Fang Building, formally the Social Science Resource Center, was so named in memory of Mr. Tian-fang Cheng and his contribution to the university. Mr. Cheng Tian-fang (1899-1967), known as Hsuei-yu, was from Xin-jian, Jiang-xi Province. He obtained his Ph.D. in Political Science from University of Toronto. Cheng, a student leader during the May Fourth Movement, was the President of Shanghai Student Association when he enrolled at Fudan University in 1919. He was the president of National Zhe-jiang University in 1933 and became the Academic Dean of the Central Political Academy, the forerunner of National Chengchi University, in 1934. His many contributions during his administration included establishing graduate schools and the department of Journalism. After the government moved to Taiwan, he was the first Minister of Education and, after the university was reestablished in Taiwan, he later became the chair of graduate program in Diplomacy. In 1958, he held the office of Deputy Director of the Examination Yuan.
Aided by a government subsidy, the construction of Social Science Resource Center started in August, 1960 and was completed in September, 1961. The Center was inaugurated on March 9, 1962 together with the Journalism Building, with then Minster of Education, Chi-lu Huang, hosting the ceremonies. On May 20, 1968 when the university was celebrating its 41st anniversary, the Resource Center was formally inaugurated and named “Tian-fang Building.” On October 30, 1973, the Social Science Resource Center moved out of Tian-fang building and into its present site.
The L-shaped Information Building, designed by the architect Zhuo-ming Li, occupies 1282.06 square meters of land, and was completed at a cost of $49,097,180. It has six floors above the ground and one storage area below ground. The first four floors are reserved for classrooms, and computer working stations are located on the fifth and sixth floors. The building is bordered by gardens, with lush trees producing a relaxing atmosphere.